Emergency Light Testing Undertaken by Experts
Emergency lighting is essential as when a problem arises in a building and all other systems fail, it enables people to safely exit the premises. Here at Existatest, we provide a range of emergency lighting testing services, please contact our proficient team for additional information.
Self-Contained Units – Monthly
- Each luminaire and internally illuminated exit sign should be energised from its battery by simulation of a failure for a period sufficient to ensure that each lamp is illuminated.
- Each luminaire and exit sign should be visually checked to ensure that they are present, clean and functioning correctly.
- On completion, each luminaire should be checked to ensure normal supply has been restored.
- Any defects should be noted in the log book.
The monthly inspections as above should be undertaken and the following:
- Each luminaire and internally illuminated exit sign should be energised from its battery by simulation of a failure for its full duration in accordance with the manufacturer’s information (usually 3 hours).
- Charging arrangements should be checked for proper functioning.
- The date of the test and its results should be recorded in the system logbook.
Central Battery Systems - Monthly
In addition to the tests shown above, the system monitors should also be checked for correct operation.
To be able to see your immediate surroundings is a fundamental requirement when in a hazardous situation. That’s why the law requires all such premises
to have emergency lighting systems for if and when the power fails. These include independently powered luminaires and emergency exit lights which together allow occupants to find their way to safety under any circumstances.
Emergency lights must be installed when the building is erected, but if the system was permitted to fall into disrepair, it would soon become useless. That’s why frequent emergency light testing is also a critical part of the rules.